Marymound and the Sisters of the Good Shepherd History
The Sisters of the Good Shepherd first came to Winnipeg in 1911 at the invitation of Judge Thomas Daly, who was seeking an alternative to prison for young women and girls he encountered in his court. Many of these young women were not “bad,” but were unwed mothers or women living in poverty. Knowing of the Sisters’ work in Montreal, where they had been established since 1844, he recognized their zeal for helping the unfortunate and the commitment and skill he knew was needed.
In April 1911, five Sisters of the Good Shepherd came from Montreal to Winnipeg. Marymound was established in its present location on the west bank of the Red River in North Kildonan that fall.
In the early to mid 20th century, up to 100 girls lived on Scotia Street, in St. Agnes Priory or Marymound, two halves of the current administrative building. Today, Marymound has facilities throughout Winnipeg and in Thompson, Manitoba and serves 3,000 young people (male and female) and their families annually.
Although the Sisters returned to their home back east in June 2014, Marymound strives to remain true to the values and standards of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd and follow the example they set for compassion, zeal and reconciliation.
They have shown us that “one person is of more value than a world.”
For a chronology of more Marymound, click here.